Friday, March 26, 2010

It Might Get Loud, 2008 - Davis Guggenheim

It would be very easy for me to give this film five stars. Does it deserve that? I'm not sure. I wound up giving it four on Netflix out of some fear that I lose my objectivity with this material. It deals with subjects I have a deep fondness for, music, musicians and their process with the guitar. Extend that statement to most any type of artist talking about their craft.. I'm in! I recognize that there are subjects I have a soft spot for and may be a bit blinded by that in my adulation. This very well may be one of those moments.
 Davis Guggenheim is establishing himself as an excellent documentarian and I for one will be watching out for what he's up to next. This film handles the subject in a fresh and unique way. Instead of going for the obvious jam potential, it spends time alone with each player, dwelling in their places of inspiration; talking about their beginnings, early influences and their personal views on their work, we get a view of how different they are, and how they relate to each other. Then, in small doses at first, we spend time with them together where they each get to ask the other two about their music. Then of course, there are the jams; they play each other's music which is fun for us as much as it is for them. After watching, I had renewed respect for each of these men and their process. There are moments in this film that will confirm one's own creative work or even inspire you to pick up that tool of expression you may have put down. 
One of the little joys was seeing Jimmy Page first strap on his guitar, play a few chords and you are immediately transported to visions of him on stage in full Led Zep performance mode. For any Rock fan, this is a must, but I insist for anyone who enjoys a well made Doc, it is not to be missed! I also want to note that this film was the brainchild of Thomas Tull. A producer whose pedigree has many more hits than misses. 
This film was viewed at home, on blu ray, and it did get loud!

No comments:

Post a Comment